Jump to contents

Sanctuary of Sant Salvador

Sanctuary of Sant Salvador: Foto 1
Sanctuary of Sant Salvador
  • Sanctuary of Sant Salvador: Foto 1
  • Sanctuary of Sant Salvador: Foto 2
  • Sanctuary of Sant Salvador: Foto 3
  • Sanctuary of Sant Salvador: Foto 4

The sanctuary of Sant Salvador also known as Our Lady of Sant Salvador is situated on the top of the mountain of the same name, at 509 metres of altitude, in the municipality of Felanitx.

Its origin dates back to 1348, when the primitive church dedicated to the "Passió de la Imatge" was built. At the beginning of the 18th century the present church was built and a statue of the Lady of Sant Salvador was placed above the altar. This statue had already been venerated since the end of the 15th century. The remarkable carved stone altarpiece of the "Passió de la Imatge", from the 15th century, was moved to one of the side chapels of the church.

The small chapel half way up the road to the sanctuary, was constructed in 1910 to remember the legend of the of the shepherd who found the statue of Our Lady.

The large stone statue of Christ the King opposite the sanctuary was built in 1934. The cross at the summit of "el Picot" dates from 1957.

Mass is celebrated each Sunday and on holidays, normally at 5 p.m. Solemn festive days are celebrated on the Sundays closest to September 8, commemorating the coronation of the image of Our Lady in 1934, and the first Sunday after Easter.

The church and its surroundings buildings, as well as the whole mountain belongs to de Diocese of Mallorca.

Last update: 13/07/2004

© 1996-2024 BalearWeb / Mallorca - Advertising - Contact - Legal note - Accessibility